High-quality dog foods are rich in protein. Most dog foods are made from common protein sources such as chicken, beef, or lamb, but some dog food brands have unique recipes.
You may have heard of salmon or turkey-based dog foods, but what about kangaroo?
Believe it or not, you can feed your dog kangaroo dog food. Here are some of our top picks on the market:
Top 5 Picks for Best Kangaroo Dog Food
|Kangaroo Dog Food Recipes||Our Rating|
|Best Overall Kangaroo Dog Food||Zignature Kangaroo Dry Dog Food
|Best Budget Kangaroo Dog Food||Billy & Margot Kangaroo Casserole
|Best Dry Kangaroo Dog Food||Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples
|Best Wet Kangaroo Dog Food||Walk About Grain-Free Wild Kangaroo Recipe Dog Food
|Best Dehydrated Kangaroo Dog Food||Outback Kangaroo Feast Dehydrated Dog Food
Best Kangaroo Meat Dog Foods
Kangaroo dog food comes in various forms, from dry kibble to wet or canned food to dehydrated products made from raw food.
While dry kibble is the most convenient, picky eaters or dogs with bad teeth may prefer a canned option. Keep reading to discover our top picks in each category.
Best Dry Kangaroo Dog Food
If you are considering dry dog food for your pet with kangaroo as the main ingredient, then you’ll want to try out one of these leading brands:
1. Zignature Kangaroo Dry Dog Food
Our rating: 5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Peas
The Zignature Kangaroo grain-free limited ingredient formula features kangaroo and kangaroo meal as the top two ingredients.
This food is also fortified with vitamins and minerals like taurine, choline chloride, folic acid, calcium carbonate, and calcium iodate that your pet needs to keep looking and feeling great.
- This food is hypoallergenic and low-glycemic, and free from any corn, wheat, or soy
- The carbohydrate content in this food comes from peas, chickpeas, and dehydrated alfalfa meal, which are all unlikely to cause allergies
- Some dogs just simply do not like this food
2. Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Dried Kangaroo Meat, Potato, Tapioca
A grain-free recipe featuring wild kangaroo as the first ingredient, Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples Dog Food is designed for pets with sensitive stomachs.
Free from any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, this high-quality dog food is packed full of vitamins and minerals to support your pet’s overall health.
- As the crude protein is sourced from wild kangaroos, you can be sure this food is free from any growth hormones and antibiotics and only contains 2% fat
- Apples are one of the main ingredients in this food, providing your pet with powerful flavonoids, polyphenols, and natural antioxidants for boosting the immune system
- Some dogs didn’t seem to like the smell of this food
3. PureVita Holistic Pet Foods (Kangaroo & Green Lentils Entree)
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Green Lentils
Ideal for dogs with food sensitivities, this limited ingredient PureVita Kangaroo & Green Lentils formula features both fresh kangaroo and kangaroo meal.
The rest of the recipe primarily consists of legumes such as lentils and chickpeas.
- With only a handful of ingredients included, this formula is ideal for dogs with severe food allergies
- Fortified with added vitamins and minerals to support your pup’s overall health
- This food may not be best suited for very active dogs
4. Natural Planet Pet Food (Kangaroo & Venison Entree)
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, venison meal, chickpeas
A unique diet that combines both kangaroo and venison, Natural Planet Dog Food is crafted for dogs with food intolerances.
Carbs and fiber are provided by various easily-digestible legumes such as chickpeas, peas, chickpea and pea flour, and pea protein.
- This food is made locally in the USA
- This food has been crafted to be suitable for dogs of all life stages
- The vegetable by-product ingredients that feature in this formula are considered low-quality additions
5. Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Selected Protein Adult KO Recipe
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, venison meal, chickpeas
The Royal Canin Vet Diet is formulated to be prescribed by vets for dogs that present severe reactions to other diets.
Providing a lifeline for canines with severe allergies, this kangaroo-based diet has no other meat or fish that could trigger adverse reactions in your pet.
- Oat groats and canola meal are included to stabilize your dog’s digestive system
- This food contains a high proportion of carbs
- This particular diet is only available with a veterinary prescription
Best Wet Kangaroo Dog Food
From pates to stews, canned dog food offers a tasty alternative to ordinary kibble. These wet kangaroo dog foods can either be used as tasty toppers or given to your pet as a complete meal.
6. Zignature Kangaroo Canned Dog Food
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, Broth, Peas
The Zignature Kangaroo Canned Dog Food is a grain-free limited ingredient wet dog food that features kangaroo as the primary ingredient.
Free from any chicken, corn, wheat, soy, or potatoes, this recipe is designed specifically for dogs with allergies or food intolerances.
- This food comes with a corresponding dry formula so you can switch between the two without worrying about making your pet sick
- Kangaroo is the only animal protein present in the recipe
- Some pet owners didn’t like the pasty texture and smell of this food
7. Billy & Margot Kangaroo Casserole
Our rating: 4
Top Ingredients: Water Sufficient For Processing, Kangaroo, Chicken, Beef Liver
The Billy & Margot Kangaroo Casserole is a hypoallergenic canned dog food that is based on both chicken and kangaroo.
This hearty, grain-free recipe contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors but does include a number of delicious ingredients like flaxseeds, coconut oil, and manuka honey.
- A range of superfoods, like sweet potato, peas, carrots, and blueberries, are included in the recipe
- Tumeric is also included for its anti-inflammatory properties
- As this recipe contains a number of meat sources, it may not be suitable for allergy-prone pets
8. Walk About Grain-Free Wild Kangaroo Recipe Dog Food
Our rating: 5
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Broth, Liver
Formulated using 100% Australian kangaroo as the first ingredient, the Walk About Kangaroo Recipe is packed with muscle-building protein and plenty of antioxidants from whole foods like green beans, peas, and sweet potatoes.
- This food is fortified with omega-three, and omega-6 fatty acids from fish oil for building healthy skin and coat
- The highly digestible formula is designed to be easy on sensitive tummies
- Some dogs may not like the pate consistency of this food
9. KOHA Wild Kangaroo Entree Review
Our rating: 4.5
Top Ingredients: Whole kangaroo, water, olive oil, blueberries
The KOHA Premium Canned Dog Food utilizes ingredients suitable for human consumption. With the whole kangaroo as the main ingredient, this food contains optimum levels of protein and fat for pups of all activity levels.
- Superfoods like pumpkin and blueberries are included in the recipe for fiber and essential vitamins and minerals
- The formula includes no grain, gluten, or portato
- Due to the high-quality ingredients included in this brand, it is very expensive
Best Dehydrated Kangaroo Dog Food
Dehydrated dog food allows you the unique benefits of feeding your dog a raw diet without having to worry about storage and keeping food fresh.
There aren’t a lot of options when it comes to selecting a dehydrated kangaroo dog food for your pet, but here is our top pick:
10. Addiction Outback Kangaroo Feast Dehydrated Dog Food
Our rating: 4
Top Ingredients: Kangaroo, Potatoes, Carrots
The Addiction Outback Kangaroo Feast is a dehydrated raw dog food that’s comprised of 40% wild kangaroo.
Manufactured in New Zealand, this grain-free formula can be fed to your dog as it is or mixed with warm water to create a delicious meal.
It also includes a number of antioxidant-rich ingredients like apples while omega fatty acids are supplied through canola oil.
- The ingredients list contains no corn, fillers, soy, wheat, artificial colors or flavoring
- This food has been fortified with minerals and vitamins for balanced nutrition
- This food is one of the more expensive options on the market
What is Kangaroo Dog Food?
Kangaroo is an exotic protein used to make hypoallergenic dog food. Pet owners often use Kangaroo-based dog foods as a last resort for dogs that have not responded well to other unique protein diets like salmon or turkey.
It is thus most often found in novel protein and limited ingredient formulas.
Kangaroo Health Benefits: Why is Kangaroo meat good for dogs?
Feeding your dog a unique protein source like Kangaroo can have a number of health benefits.
Along with adding some excitement to your dog’s diet, kangaroo is a great alternative for dogs that present with allergies to other meats like chicken or beef.
If your dog has dry, itchy skin or an upset stomach, then he might be allergic to the protein source in his food.
Switching out his regular dog food for one that contains kangaroo as the novel protein can help prevent these allergic reactions. Kangaroo also is a very dense protein with low-fat levels.
In addition, kangaroo meat naturally contains high levels of Iron, Zinc, Vitamin A, Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12, all of which help your pet build a healthy immune system.
Kangaroo is also naturally high in linoleic acid which is an essential fatty acid that supports many of the body’s functions. This makes kangaroo one of the best non-fish sources of omega 3 fatty acids.
As kangaroos are not intensively farmed like chickens or cows are, you can also rest easy knowing you’re not supporting cruel farming practices.
As a free-range, organic protein source, your dog’s food will be not only full of delicious natural flavors but also free of antibiotics and steroids.
What dogs would benefit most from a diet of Kangaroo dog food?
Kangaroo dog food isn’t for every dog. The best candidates for this type of diet are pets that suffer from food allergies.
Kangaroo meat also contains very low crude fat levels so this type of food can be an excellent option for pets that are struggling with weight loss.
Any fats that are found in kangaroo meat are typically low in unsaturated fats which means this is also a good choice for dogs with heart troubles.
Cons of Kangaroo in dog food
Kangaroo dog foods are exotic meat and they do come at significantly higher prices than other pet foods on the market. These foods are also harder to find and less frequently available.
That said, providing your furry friend with kangaroo dog food will still be significantly cheaper than frequent trips to the vet and purchasing regular allergy medications and shots.
Kangaroo in limited ingredient diet dog food
As kangaroo-based diets are most often given to pets with food allergies, it makes sense that many of these formulas contain limited ingredients.
By providing your dog food that only has a handful of ingredients, you can better rule out the exact cause of your dog’s problems.
Best Kangaroo Dog Food Buyer’s Guide
You need to be discerning about what food you buy for your dog. Look past clever marketing gimmicks, like a picture of a kangaroo on the food, and actually do your research about what each brand offers.
Keep reading for some tips on what to look out for when selecting the best Kangaroo dog food.
Kangaroo Dog Food Formula Checklist: Selecting a Kangaroo-based dog food
Here is a short checklist of things to consider when purchasing dog food:
1. Where Is the Kangaroo Coming From? When shopping for any dog food, be sure you’re buying from reputable brands.
Most kangaroo will not be intensively farmed but likely wild-caught and thus much healthier and environmentally friendly.
2. Look at the ingredients list: A good dog food will have kangaroo listed as the first ingredient. This is because ingredients are listed based on how much content of each is actually included in the recipe.
The best products will also include other forms of kangaroo in their second and third ingredients, such as kangaroo meals or organ meat.
3. Check for bonus ingredients: Your pet’s food should support their whole-body health. Foods that are fortified with essential fatty acids, as well as vitamins and minerals, will help to cater to the complete nutrition of your pup.
Other ingredients, such as chondroitin and glucosamine, and calcium, help build strong joints, staving off diseases like arthritis.
4. What to avoid when shopping for Kangaroo Dog Food: If your reason for buying kangaroo dog food is because your dog has a sensitive stomach, then you’ll want to avoid recipes that contain common allergens like chicken, corn, wheat, soy, or pork.
You’ll also want to stay away from meat by-products and any additives, preservatives, or artificial colors. Mixed tocopherols are natural preservatives that are a good alternative.
Also, avoid dog food manufactured in China. Instead opt for food manufactured in the USA, Canada, New Zealand, or Australia where there are strict regulations regarding what can and can’t be included in pet food.
To grain or not to grain: Do dogs need grain-free food?
Grains can often cause allergies in dogs. If you’re trying to avoid corn, wheat or soy, then look for recipes that include highly digestible carbs such as apple, brown rice, or sweet potato which rarely cause allergic reactions in dogs.
While many kangaroo dog foods are grain-free the FDA is currently investigating a suspected link between grain-free diets and cardiomyopathy, a type of canine heart disease.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can dogs eat raw kangaroo?
No, dogs should not eat raw kangaroo. This includes raw muscle meat, bones, tails, or organs. Raw or undercooked meat can contain salmonella, a bacteria that can be extremely harmful to your pet.
Most products that advise raw ingredients, like the dehydrated foods listed here, apply some level of heat or processing to the components to kill off any bacteria.
Are kangaroo ribs safe for dogs to eat?
Any animal bones, including kangaroo ribs, can cause your dog to choke. Ribs can also splinter in the mouth, causing lacerations or breaking teeth.
If ribs are swallowed, they can also block your dog’s digestive system, leading to serious surgery.
Some dog treats include bones that have been softened to make them edible and easy to digest.
Does eating lentils and kangaroo cause heart attacks in dogs?
There are some allegations that kangaroo and lentil-based diets can lead to heart attacks; however, there’s no scientific proof to support these claims.
As mentioned previously, grain-free diets have been linked to cardiomyopathy in dogs.
Typically, these foods do use legumes like lentils to bolster their foods’ carbohydrate and crude fiber content.
Can you give homemade Kangaroo food to your dog?
If you can find kangaroo meat, then, of course, you can give homemade dog food to your pet. Just ensure that the recipe and quantities you use meet your dog’s nutritional needs.
Here is an excellent homemade kangaroo dog food recipe:
- 2.5 kgs Kangaroo mince
- Half a bag of frozen carrot, broccoli, and cauliflower
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1 cup of water
- Four eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut or sunflower oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Parsley and pepper
- Throw all ingredients into a pot
- Stir vigorously to break up any clumps
- Leave to stew for a few hours until cooked
- Cool and serve
Should you give Kangaroo treats to your dog?
If you aren’t quite ready to transition your dog over to a kangaroo dog food, you can consider giving him some kangaroo treats made from this novel protein source.
You’ll get all the benefits of kangaroo but at a lower price as you won’t be using these treats at every meal.
Just be sure to consider the calorie count, so that you aren’t overfeeding your pet.
Before Introducing Kangaroo Dog Food into Your Dog’s Diet, Make Sure to Talk to Your Vet
Does your dog struggle with food allergies caused by proteins and you want to give a kangaroo-based food a try?
Before introducing any new food to your pet, it’s best to consult with your veterinarian first.
Your vet knows your dog’s medical history and is the best person to advise on what particular diet will work for your pet.
When you’re ready to try out kangaroo dog food, there are a number of really great options on the list above.
Have you ever tried to feed your dog kangaroo-based food? Let us know in the comments below which food you tried and if it worked for your furry friend. We’d love to hear your kangaroo dog food reviews.