Bulldogs are an adorably bashful dog breed characterized by their short legs, wide face, wrinkles, and broad shoulders. As a firm favorite amongst dog lovers, every Bulldog deserves a name that is just as unique as it is.
But choosing the perfect name for your pup is often easier said than done. We’re hoping that this article will spark some inspiration to make it easier.
What should I name my Bulldog?
When choosing a name for your Bulldog, you want to pick something that matches the physical attributes and spirit of the breed.
Names that start with S, T, and R are most comfortable for dogs to pick up on. Also, as dogs understand brief commands, names that are one or two syllables work best.
A Bulldog puppy with an overly long or complicated name likely won’t respond to you very well.
You also want to avoid names that sound like or rhyme with common commands like sit or stay, which could confuse your pup. Same thing with names that are rude or offensive and shouldn’t be called out in public.
If you want the perfect name for your Bulldog puppy, try letting your dog choose.
Call out your favorite names and see which one best suits your dog’s personality and appearance while also seeing which one she reacts to the best.
Another way to get your dog to choose his name is by scattering random cards with names around the room and let your dog decide which one he wants.
Finally, you could also attach names to trees in your garden, and whichever one your dog pees on first determines his name! It’s a fun activity that family members can join in.
Famous Bulldog names
A fun way to choose a name for your fido is to take inspiration from famous Bulldogs from TV shows, movies, books, or even history.
Here are a few famous Bulldogs to get you going:
- Angus – the character from the movie Mr. Magoo. This dog was played by four Bulldogs – three female and one male.
- Butch – a Bulldog that first appeared in the Pluto cartoon in the 1940s
- Colossus – the loveable dog character in the movie Van Wilder
- Hector – the famous Bulldog in the Tweety and Sylvester comic
- Spike – the giant bulldog features in Tom and Jerry
- Max – the dog of the main character in the Jake and the Fatman TV series that ran from 1987 to 1992
- Mr. Beefy – a talking Bulldog from the movie Little Nicky
- Curly – The name of the team mascot in the 2008 movie Leatherheads
Several universities also have Bulldogs as their mascots. They could act as inspiration when it comes to naming your pup:
- Bruiser – Adrian College mascot
- Spike – Allan Hancock College mascot
- Jerry – Arkansas Tech University mascot
- Bully – Barton College mascot
- Butch – Bowie State University mascot
- Ironclad Tupper – Bryant University mascot
- Butker Blue – Butler University mascot
- Timeout and Victor E – California State University, Fresno mascots
- Boomer – Dean College mascot
- Griff – Drake University mascot
- Brutus – Ferris State University mascot
- Handsome Dan – Yale University mascot
- Jack – Georgetown University mascot
- Barney – Gardner-Webb University mascot
- UGA – University of Georgia mascot
- Duke dog – James Madison University mascot
- General Determination – Kettering University mascot
- Ben – McPherson College mascot
- Buster – Union University mascot
- Rocky – University of North Carolina at Asheville mascot
- Tarzan – University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez mascot
Meet Walter, a puppy who goes by the stage name Handsome Dan and is the new mascot of Yale University:
Several celebrity dog owners also gravitate towards Bulldogs. Love a particular celeb? Then consider naming your pup after theirs:
- Adam Sandler owns bulldogs named Metaball, Matzoball, and Babu
- Ozzy Osbourne and Olivia Wilde both own a Bulldog named Lola
- Pink owns a Bulldog named Elvis
- Brad Pitt owns Jacques
- Willow Smith owns Rockefeller
- Joe Jonas owns Winston
- Chris Brown owns two bulldogs named Chief and Diamond
- Michael Phelps owns Herman
- Jessica Biel owns East
- Gloria Estefan has three bulldogs named Isaac, Biggie, and Noelle
- David Beckham owns Coco
- Reese Witherspoon owns Frank Sinatra
- John Legend & Christy Teigen own Puddy
- Miley Cyrus owns Ziggy
Popular dog names for Bulldogs
Still wondering what to name your Bulldog? Check out our comprehensive list of the best Bulldog names below, and hopefully, you’ll find one you love:
Bulldog puppy names
With loose skin, large heads, and little wobbly legs, Bulldog puppies are too cute!
Choose a name that suits their playful puppy personality or small size, but always keep in mind that the title you give your dog now will be around for years to come:
- Jelly Roll
- Dump Truck
Top female Bulldog names
They may look tough on the outside, but they’re delightful on the inside. And names for female Bulldogs should reflect how beautiful or regal they are.
- Sweet Pea
Top male Bulldog names
Male Bulldogs are often given a name that matches their robust and fearsome appearance.
Bulldog names inspired by colors
Bulldogs come in a variety of colors. You can use your Bulldog’s coat color to inspire a unique name for her.
Here are some names perfect for white Bulldogs:
- Powder Puff
For Bulldogs with soft tan coloring:
For Bulldogs with luscious auburn coat:
- Hot Sauce
- Big Red
For brindled- or multi-colored Bulldogs:
British vs. American vs. French Bulldog names
There are three types of Bulldogs: English Bulldogs, American Bulldogs, and French Bulldogs. Although each breed has a distinct appearance, they’re all quite muscular and stocky with a friendly, social personality.
English Bulldogs are often given classic English or royal sounding names that reflect their heritage. These names recognize your dog for the queen bee or king that she or he is.
For your classy or royal Bully, here are some traditional English Bulldog names:
For the American-inspired fido that reflects the US military, working titles, or muscle cars, here are American Bulldog names you might like:
And of course, the Frenchie. Do you want your pet’s name to reflect their heritage, or maybe a French word? There’s definitely a lot, but here are some endearing French Bulldog names:
Names for sweet and chunky Bulldogs
Is your dog a big, loveable sweetheart? Then be sure to choose a great name that suits your dearest fur baby. It has to be short yet memorable – just like your doggo!
Here are some names for sweet and chunky girl Bulldogs:
Some sweet and chunky boy Bulldog names:
Names for a meaty Bully
Muscular square stature with broad shoulders and a meaty torso — there are names that match the Bulldog’s meaty appearance:
- Big Mac
Names for brave and energetic Bulldogs
Bulldogs are inherently brave and protective, making them fantastic watchdogs. If you want a name that reflects just that, check out these names:
Tough Bulldog names
Tough names often reflect those inspired by rugged vehicles, guns, or prominent characters in history. Just like these names:
Female dogs can also be tough, and choosing a forceful name with a bit of a feminine edge can be an excellent choice for this breed.
Strong Bulldog names
This dog breed is celebrated for its strength and resilience. After all, they were bred to protect and control livestock.
Unfortunately, they were also used in bull-baiting, but thankfully, it has been banned.
Bull in the breed’s name comes from that nightmarish sport. But you can choose a strong name that shows how Herculean Bulldogs are.
Cute Bulldog names
Not many will agree to it, but Bulldogs are unbelievably charming, so why not a cute name, right? It can be inspired by food or your pup’s best features:
- Milk dud
Cool Bulldog names
You can get name ideas from fearsome movie characters, favorite TV series, sporting heroes, the best musicians, or even top brands:
Funny Bulldog names
Have a goofy Bulldog? There are plenty of funny names to choose from! Just make sure it isn’t too novel, or you could get bored of it quickly.
- Ms. Piggy
- Honey Booboo
- Cookie monster
- Darth Vader
- Droolius caesar
Unique Bulldog names
Bulldogs are one of the most recognizable breeds because of their squashed faces, prominent jaws, and wrinkly skin.
But those qualities also make them unique. Here are some names that also stands out:
- Zsa Zsa
One-Syllable Bulldog Names
If you easily forget names, go for something easy to remember:
What should I name my Bully?
Throughout your Bulldog’s life, you are likely to use her name countless times, so be sure to pick a name that you like.
We recommend choosing one that’s associated with something positive, and you’ll always be happy when saying it.
However, try not to settle on a name 100% until you’ve met your Bulldog and can ensure the moniker matches his personality and appearance.
What’s the name of your Bully dog? Did you like one of our Bulldog names? Let us know which one you like by typing it in the comment box below.